Is That An Assistance Animal? A Discussion That Goes Beyond Dogs and Cats
When are Miniature Horses, Snakes and Birds a Reasonable Accommodation?
Live On Tue, January 30, 2018 | 1:00 pm ET | 12:00 pm CT | Presented By : Jo Becker | Certificate of Training
You know that assistance animals must be accommodated under the Fair Housing Act (FHA). You must also know the conditions for keeping service dogs under the American with Disabilities Act (ADA). To ensure compliance, you must expand your understanding of disability protections and the need to accommodate by exploring some less common but often misunderstood accommodation requests for less common assistance animals. There’s so much more to the ADA and the FHA than just seeing eye or hearing ear dogs!
Join this session with expert speaker Jo Becker to gain an appreciation for what all animals can do for individuals with disabilities and to be prepared for unusual requests that might come your way. Get up-to-speed on miniature horses as service animals by understanding when they’re allowed (i.e. “reasonable”), what assistance they can provide, and why they’re sometimes more advantageous than dogs. Jo will also talk about birds, snakes, and monkeys and what these less common species can do for those with disabilities. You will also understand when they fall under the ADA or the FHA. This session will take your understanding of disability-related aid animals to a new level with examples and stories by demystifying the unknown and calming fears about the horror stories you’ve heard.
- Get familiar with less common disability-related aid animals that you may be requested to accommodate on your property
- Gain a clear understanding when these animals fall under the FHA or the ADA
- Go through several stories and examples to demonstrate when accommodation is reasonable and necessary, as well as an appreciation of how some very unexpected animals can help those with disabilities
- Briefly review disability protections and the accommodation/verification process
- Review current assistance animal accommodation policies and practices
- Appreciate the differences (and legal distinctions) between service animals, assistance animals, and pets
- Be prepared to handle unusual assistance animal accommodation requests with professionalism and a high level of customer service
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER. Use “CK20” to get $20 off.
Also, get 1 hour Certificate of Training for your CEU requirement.
Attend in a Group and sàve up to 50%. To Book, Call Now: 1-800-223-8720
2222 Sedwick Drive, Durham,NC 27713
Reference No. E99NSNIG