Learn about the Fair Housing Act (FHA) Requirements for Reasonable Accommodations
Reasonable accommodation is one of fair housing’s “hot topics”. This typically accounted for over 50% of the fair housing complaints to HUD in the past year. Property owners do not want to be charged by HUD for a fair housing violation and incur the costs of the complaint. Reasonable accommodations can be requested during the application process, during tenancy and during an eviction. It is important to learn the correct procedure to ask for, review and implement this important action. Reasonable accommodations are requested because of a disability due to either physical or mental issues. You must understand the definition of disability and when reasonable accommodation comes into play so that a disabled person can enjoy the same quality of life as a non-disabled individual.
Join this session, where expert speaker Paul Flogstad will discuss the many different needs for reasonable accommodations. One of the primary requests are for assistance animals. This session will discuss what the requirements are, what animals are allowed and how a landlord must verify the need for such an animal. This session will provide “real world” solutions and examples of reasonable accommodation based on Paul’s extensive fair housing experience. He will share actual experiences to enhance learning. This session will provide you with the ability to make the correct decision when faced with a reasonable accommodation request.
- Definition of reasonable accommodation
- Definition of disability
- When is an accommodation needed?
- Difference between an accommodation and modification
- Companion animal/service animal issues
- What is “reasonable”?
- Legal compliance and best practices
This session will discuss:
- Fair housing issues and how they impact your property
- The need for accommodations
- Fair housing laws about accommodations
- Timeframe for requesting and granting of accommodations
- What properties fall under fair housing/accommodation laws?
2222 Sedwick Rd,Durham NC, 27713
Reference No. : E99NSNIG